Tuesday, March 17, 2015

So Many Special Moments!

 There really isn't anything that I could say to recreate the experience that was this past weekend--you just had to be there! However, I am going to try by sharing a few major highlights. 
   Most of this week was spent preparing for the baptismal services that were coming up! This includes baptismal interviews, making programs, practicing songs/talks, and making pies. When we told Kelcy that she was going to be baptized on 3.14/15 (aka pi day), she automatically insisted that we make pies for the refreshments! Anyone who knows me well, know how much I love pie, so I wasn't about to disagree!!  In total, the project took about 5 hours of baking, resulting in 4 normal sized pies, 2 dozen "hand pies" (they look like empanadas), and 3 dozen cupcake flower pies. Don't worry, I attached pictures. We thought there was no way we would eat them all, but more people showed up than we thought! 
   The baptismal service itself turned out to be pretty memorable! When Kelcy got in the font with Bishop Piscione, the water only came up to their knees! They tried to do the baptism, but the water was too shallow! (For those of you who aren't familiar with LDS baptisms, you have to be completely immersed in the water for it to "count.")  So, she kneeled down in the water while the prayer was said again. The bishop leaned her back, but she still couldn't get all the way under. It started to be pretty comical, but she is such a good sport.  The third time, she sat on her bum in the font, and he just laid her down under the water. When we were helping her get ready in the bathroom afterward, she said, "I think we had to do it 3 times because God wanted to make sure I was paying attention." She is just such an amazing example to me! After that, I sang the family favorite "For Me Alone," and Sister Kingsolver gave a wonderful talk about the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  My favorite part was when Kelcy got up to share her testimony and thoughts. She just talked about how much she loved her Savior and the determination she has to hold to the iron rod for the rest of her life. I think she would be the best missionary! 
   After that baptism, we had time to grab a quick lunch and go to the Thornton's baptism! (I feel like I'm serving in Brazil or something!!) It was so special and wonderful. Earlier in the week, we had asked/convinced the mom, Amy, if she would say the opening prayer. We knew that it would be a special experience for her and the kids. Well, the opening song was "Families can be Together Forever."  She got up and said the prayer. It seemed very poignant. Here was this single mom of 3 kids with what seems to be the weight of the world on her shoulders.  She's made this recent decision in her life to come back to church, and now, through the ordinance that was happening that day, she has a renewed hope that her family really can be together after this life. In her prayer she expressed gratitude that her kids were able to feel of the Spirit and make this important step in their lives. I think we all were holding back tears. I love that family so much!
   Well, that's all I have time to share, but I hope some of these pictures will make up for it!
I love you all!
Sister Pratt 
 Emma and Hayden at their baptism

 The whole family!  I love them!
The cute little flower pie things!

 ...and more pie!
 Making pies!  Don't you love our aprons?
 Kelcy at her baptism.  She is so amazing!
 
When we got to our District Meeting this week, the building was being cleaned! We had to meet outside, and consequently, we had a photo shoot :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment