Tuesday, October 14, 2014

MEET THE MORMONS

  Alright. I don't have a whole lot of time, but the highlight of this week was TOTALLY getting to see a screening of the movie Meet the Mormons. It was So good, and I was laughing or crying for most of it. GO SEE IT! 
  Because of Columbus Day, yesterday, we don't have any time to share much about the week. I just want you all to know that I love this gospel and I love this work!
   One thing that happened that was kind of a big deal was my year mark in the mission. Honestly, it was kind of a hard day for me--so many emotions! I didn't know how to cope with the fact that I only have 6 months left of this phase of my life. I was also finding myself frustrated by the number of people that have used their agency to turn away from the light of our Savior. I kept thinking to myself that I was here to serve the people of Star, but they didn't want me. Why was I spending so much effort trying to help them when they didn't appreciate or even acknowledge my help? 
   I had a change of heart during our Gospel Principles class on Sunday. It was about obedience, and the teacher made a point about the "Good, Better, Best" concept of obedience. 
Good= You obey because you fear God. You feel a sense of duty or obligation
Better= You obey to receive the promised blessings. You look for a reward from your service
Best= You obey simply because you love God and want to serve Him forever.
   I realized that I was at the "better" stage for my motivation. I was looking for the tangible reward (i.e. baptisms, lessons, etc.) I didn't necessarily want them for myself; I wanted them for others. However, it was still a focus in my mission.  I'm still trying to work toward the "best" reason for serving, but I know that when I get there, it won't just be for my mission. It will be for my life. I know that as I struggle with my motivation to do anything else in the church, or if I feel that my other reasons for helping have become irrelevant, that I will be able to continue on with nothing more than a love for my Father in Heaven.
   Thank you all again for your love, support, and prayers.
Sister Pratt 

Zone picture--I guess Elder Sessions decided to not be in the picture...... good job.

I got to have dinner with Aunt Sylvia again! It was so much fun, and she made red beans and rice for me :)
 I loved it, and Sister Venable was also appreciating the southern cuisine 


No comments:

Post a Comment